Blog Post #7: The Beauty of the Cube

 

Hi Everyone :)




    Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog this week. I hope everyone is doing well and is getting the rest you need to finish the rest of the semester strong! Ladies and gentlemen, in full disclosure, I did not intend to write this kind of blog post this week. I was expecting to come on here with a new personal best and show everyone just how close I am to solving the Rubix Cube in under one minute. I was ready to share my accomplishments, post and embed a new solving video and give some motivational speech at the end of the blog telling everyone to keep grinding and that there is power in our progress. This is not the case; however, this week, I discovered something that I never thought I would have when I started this genius hour project... I discovered the beauty of the cube. BEAUTY OF THE CUBE? I hear you all asking. LUCA, WE GET IT; THE CUBE LOOKS NICE WHEN IT'S SOLVED, SO WHAT? Believe me; I hear that too. No, I'm talking about the many patterns that the Rubix Cube can display.


    Let me explain; I first discovered one of these patterns while I was playing around with the cube after one of my solves. I was mindlessly turning the cube and stumbled upon the basic checkerboard pattern. Once I found this pattern, I thought to myself, wow, this looks kind of cool. Immediately the lightbulb went off in my head, and I quickly dropped everything that I was doing, ran to my computer and instantly started to look up different designs that could be displayed on the Rubix Cube. What I found was a community devoted to coming up with algorithms and step by step guides for the different patterns the cube has to offer. I've linked the website here for all of you to enjoy if you have a spare moment or two. I've also posted just a few of my favourite designs that I've discovered over the course of my genius hour. These patterns were so much fun to discover and solve, and it just goes to show that no matter how much you think you know about a topic, there is always more room to grow and more ways to improve. (lol, okay, maybe the motivational speech will be in this blog too). Well, everyone, that's all from me for this week. I hope you enjoyed reading my blog post, and I challenge you to go out and find a newfound beauty in whatever passion project you're working on. I promise you it's there you just have to look for it! 


Happy Cubing Everyone


Luca D'Amico 






Comments